Thursday, July 15, 2010

The First Bath Memory...

I had a bathtime memory about Madison this morning, and decided to share it. It's been quite a while since I thought about this...

After giving birth, my daughter chose to keep Madison in the room with her the entire time. This choice meant she was totally responsible for Madison's care. Madison was born by c-section, so Brandy required some help with Madison's care for a couple of days.

Today's story took place when I gave Madison her first bath in the hospital. It was just a sponge bath, of course, but when a nurse came in and caught me bathing her, she sternly scolded me!

She informed me that newborn babies don't sweat, and therefore, they don't need a bath. She went on to drill me that newborns need to be kept very warm, and I was going to give her a chill by bathing her!

You would have thought that I had Madison stripped down, exposed and freezing, which was not the case. I reminded myself (and should have reminded the nurse) that I had successfully raised three children of my own, and was quite capable of bathing an infant without doing bodily harm.

Well, all is well that ends well...Madison survived her first bath by her MiMi with absolutely no "ill effects", but that sure is an interesting "first bath memory"!

***The picture in this post was not taken during that first bath by MiMi, but was probably her first tub bath.

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Gotta love those nurses;>)
You sure you raised 3 kids with no ill effects? lol Thanks for the sweet story~ Diana

Christina's Creative Side said...

I remember when that happened!