Tuesday, January 13, 2015

New Adventures In Babysitting...

Once again, it's time to brush the cobwebs aside, and publish another post over here.  It's been far too long...

our three 'local' grands

Let me begin by saying, these days, it's a rare and special occasion when my husband, Ed, and I keep all three of the 'local' grandchildren (we have a fourth grandchild, who lives out-of-town). Sometimes, we'll keep one or two, but rarely do all three of them stay with us at once.  However, last Saturday night was one such occasion.

There was going to be a Sunday School outing, and the parents of our 'grands' sort of wanted to attend.  I've been feeling pretty good, lately, so I offered up my babysitting services, which were graciously accepted.

Let me begin by saying I quickly learned this: Folks who have two or more children in the house, DO NOT need a television!  It's a waste of time to even turn it on, because you can't hear a thing that's going on :)  Of course, if you put in a favorite movie of those children in your house, television can quickly become a life saver!  As children's eyes and ears become tuned into what's happening on the screen, their mouths suddenly become quiet :)

Seriously, the grand kids were very good, and gave us very little trouble.  We had the occasional, "He's being mean to me", or "They won't play with me", but I know, from experience, that's totally normal when three children play together.  I only had to call them down once, when they got into a spirited game of 'ball popping', in my kitchen.

Throughout the course of the evening, I did notice that a few things haven't changed since our own children grew up.  I guess some things remain the same, throughout the test of time.

First of all, there was supper.  I decided to serve pepperoni pizza and salad, with seedless grapes for dessert.  Two of the grands asked to have the pepperoni removed from their pizza.  One 'grand' only wanted carrots in his salad, while the other two wanted lettuce and carrots, but no tomatoes.  All three wanted lots of cheese on top!  (Some things never change...)  Our dinnertime conversation consisted of asking me the question, "How old are you?"  (again, some things never change...)

Next, all three decided they wanted to play 'house'.  One by one, each came to me requesting a pillow and a cover, to make a bed out of.  I ran out of old pillows, so I convinced one of them to 'sleep' in the computer chair, and pretend it was a recliner.  Problem solved.  (I may be old, but I'm not stupid...)

Later in the evening, I decided to leave Ed in charge long enough for me to take a quick bubble bath. I asked every 'grand' if anyone needed to use the bathroom before I took my bath.  All said they didn't.  About five minutes into my bubble bath, there was a knock on the door...  (again, some things never change...)  It was the youngest of the three, and he had to 'poop'.  Wouldn't ya' know?  So, as I'm trying to finish my bath, here come Ed and Chase to share the very tiny bathroom with me.  So much for privacy and relaxation!  I had to chuckle when Ed was helping Chase get back into his bottoms, and he pulled the pants up under Chase's armpits.  Chase quickly declared, "They're too high!" 

The last amusing conversation of the evening came when we turned on the television so the children could watch a movie they'd brought along.  Grandson, Caden, quickly covered his ears and asked why we play our television so loud!  I explained, to him, that our ears are old and don't hear as good as they once did.  (I spared him the details of how his grandpa is practically deaf and refuses to even consider getting hearing aids, so we all have to suffer)

All in all, it was a good evening with the grand kids.  They enjoyed each other's company, and seemed to enjoy some freedom away from their parents.  Of course, I'd be lying if I told you we weren't all happy to see the parents return home, shortly before bedtime.  After all, being 'grand' is hard work, no matter whether you are the 'grandchild' or the 'grandparent'!  Ed and I were happy to fall into our bed, shortly after everyone went home :)




16 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a fun day!

Cathy said...

I love this story. Can't wait until I have grandchildren some day. Not too soon though. My girls need to get a little more settled first.

I am an honorary nana to a sweet little girl that I post about from time to time on my blog. I love that little thing.

RaD said...

Sometimes it's just hard to keep up with everything, especially two blogs, LOL!

You know how my adventures with that went!

This was a cute update. I especially like the "why is the tv so loud?" comment. When we visit my parents in the summer, my kids wonder the same thing. And, it's my dad not my mom who has the need.

Cranberry Morning said...

You're right, some things never change. It was fun reading the tale of the grandkids coming to visit. Sounds like a wonderful and exhausting time. lol

Thanks so much for visiting Cranberry Morning. I have you on my Feedly and GFC list now. :-)

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, I know what you mean, we had our 2 local Grans last Sat. night. Hubby is deaf also and won't do anything about it, so we all suffer. :o)) But, what sweet times they are with these sweeties.

Life SPW said...

Thank you for your kind words and condolences.

Life SPW said...

Thank you for your visit. I too dislike the finger pain but I've learned to play through it. Once the finger tips get calloused it becomes more enjoyable to play. Happy Mother's Day, Kathy. I hope Ed treats you like a queen!

Nonnie said...

This is so funny and how it rolls at our house, too!

Cranberry Morning said...

Sounds like quite an adventure with the grands. :-)

baili said...

wow what an adventure ,it is true that kids enjoy more with grand parents then parents though i don't have one yet i know because i love my grandpa and grandma and enjoyed times with them still have these enchanting precious memories ,take care dear

baili said...

best wishes and hearties prayers for Katie may God bless her

Vee said...

You did well to manage all three grands at once.( I remember splitting the only two grandchildren between their maternal grandmother and myself. It was the only way to cope there for awhile.) Very cute kiddos!

Cranberry Morning said...

Good grief, I laughed so much throughout this fun read that I had tears in my eyes!! It was all SO familiar. 😀 And don't try to tell me that a 'quick bubble bath' isn't an escape plan! LOL

Barbara said...

Quoting you, "Being 'grand' is hard work." Clever statement of great truth!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the grandchildren's visit.

Terri D said...

I have been missing you!! You changed the name of your blog and dropped off of my Reader. Nice to find you via another blog!!

Sue said...

This brought back memories for me Maddie, I smiled all the way through! Thanks for the memory!.your Grands are adorable.
Blessings,
Sue,