Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Timer...

Just when I think I'd seen it all, I saw something new last night!  Granddaughter, Madison, surprised me again, with another "first".

It was around eight o'clock in the evening, and my husband and I were about to settle in to watch a little television before calling it a day.  We heard the familiar footsteps of Madison on our front porch. 

Madison opened the front door to come inside, but this time she had something in her hands--a ticking kitchen timer!  Madison explained to us that she had come over to play, but that her mama said she had to go home when the timer rang.  I looked at the timer, Madison had 29 minutes to play!

Madison and "E" settled into their usual routine of playing in the living room floor.  They played with an assortment of small toys that I keep in a plastic box.  After 29 minutes, the timer rang.  Madison stood up and announced, "It's time for me to clean up and go home!"  That's just what she did, too!

Tonight Madison returned, timer in hand.  She and "E" played with Barbies this time.  In the middle of the visit, I finished getting supper ready.  Madison asked if she could eat supper with us, so Ed called her parents and got permission for Madison to eat with us.

In the middle of supper the timer rang again.  Madison said "Uh Oh!", and started to get upset because she thought she had to get up in the middle of her meal and go home.  We assured her that she could finish eating first, and she did.  After supper, Madison took her kitchen timer and went home, without even being told to!  Wow, the power of a kitchen timer! 


2 comments:

Linda said...

That is the cutest thing ever! What a good way to teach kids the value of time. I think every parent should go get one of those timers! (smile)

Heck....I could benefit from it too! Ha! It would show me just how much time I really spend on things...like this crazy computer. Maybe I should limit my time on this thing and get other things accomplished! ????

That's neat that your granddaughter lives so close!
Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a neat idea and will teach Madison how to use her time wisely.