Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bonding with "Toot Toot"

If you have read any of my early posts, then you know what a time my daughter, Brandy, had during her pregnancy. We were all on "pins and needles" for almost the entire pregnancy. On the night that Madison was finally born, we all felt as if a huge burden was lifted off of our shoulders. What a relief to finally have her born safely and healthy!

The day of the birth was a very long one, especially for Brandy. When she woke up that morning she said that she just had a feeling that something wasn't right with the baby. After having a sonogram done later that morning, Brandy was even more convinced. The baby would barely move for the technician, even after Brandy had something sweet.

I had come home the night before to rest and try to get in a day of work. Brandy called me late that Monday morning and she was upset about the baby. I immediately hopped in my car and drove back to the hospital.

As the day went on, things didn't appear to be getting any better with the baby. By late that afternoon, we were getting somewhat frantic because we didn't seem to be getting anywhere with getting Madison delivered. A second sonogram showed that the baby was even more in distress. One particular nurse and I butted heads a bit, as I felt she wasn't letting the doctor know what was going on. Finally, the doctor showed up very late that afternoon and got the ball rolling...within two hours Madison was born.

Those forty-five minutes or so that I sat in the waiting room during the birth were some of the longest minutes I've ever spent. At first I was all alone because nobody expected the baby to be born that evening, but soon other family arrived. We didn't know what was happening and I was so afraid for the baby. When the nurse and Clint finally came out with Madison we were all so relieved...

Later that evening, everyone went home except me, and Brandy and her husband went to sleep. I was too wound up to sleep so I sat in a chair and held Madison all night long. It was on that night that we bonded. I never held my own children all night long, but I was just so relieved to get that precious baby here safe, that I hated to put her down! On that night I learned something that I never knew...newborn babies have gas--and Madison had more than her fair share. We still call her "Toot Toot" today, and she's still living up to her nickname!

No comments: